Home > Cycling > I am writing to my MP. Please write to yours.
I am writing to my MP. Please write to yours.
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 by Unknown
We have now come to the end of a terrific summer of cycling (well almost, I hope to catch some of the Tour of Britain this Sunday). The day of Bradley Wiggins's triumph in the Olympic Time Trial at Hampton Court was deeply marred by the death of Dan Harris outside the Olympic Park. It was also the day I attended the sentencing of Joao Lopes at Isleworth Crown Court. Wiggins is rightly a sporting super-hero so I will say no more than that his comments at a press conference that evening on cyclists' safety headed in a seriously wrong direction.
It is though important that the momentum of this exceptional summer is sustained to encourage cycling not only (or even principally) as a sport but as an everyday activity that is beneficial on so many levels. This requires cycling to be not only objectively safe but subjectively perceived to be safe by the masses, who hear about far too many cyclist deaths and listen to Bradley Wiggins and Jon Snow refer to cycling as 'dangerous'.
Fortunately the balance has been redressed by another sporting hero, Chris Boardman, who was on the radio last week talking sense about cycling, the risks and how we should be focusing upon improving the cycling environment. I liked his analogy that if there is gun-fire on the streets do you deal with it by issuing body armour (otherwise you can hardly complain can you if you have not done everything to protect yourself?) or do you deal with the problem at source?
I have had numerous problems with my dealings with the criminal justice system as regular readers will recall. I am not alone, many others in far more serious cases have been dismayed at the frequent failure in the criminal justice system to play the part that it should in ensuring a safer cycling environment. It is essential that those who kill, maim, injure, endanger or threaten cyclists are brought to account by our criminal justice system.
I am therefore writing to my MP, in response to British Cycling's call, asking him to support Julian Huppert's Early Day Motion. I invite you to do the same. Sad to say but without such pressure calls, even from British Cycling, fall on deaf ears whatever the Government's publicly professed sentiments.
Category Article Cycling
Popular Posts
-
Media Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 14, 2013 T-Wolves Visit Marauders for Regular Season Finales THUNDER BAY, ON - T...
-
Race 7 (can it really be 7 already!?) saw a big 3rd cat field of 43 riders lining up on an exceptionally mild overcast January afternoon...
-
Just a quick one today as I battle various ailments. One of the big concerns in the off-season is how Danny Espinosa will play through his...
-
The modern footballer must know his place. If the forensic analysis of Zonal Marking is to be believed, most of them are mindless chess...
-
I wrote to the Times yesterday in response to the letter from HHJ Tonking that they printed last week about banning cyclists from dual car...
-
Badminton is an amazing activity to look at. It is fast moving and needs the greatest in rate from the gamers at the tournament stage. Me...
-
When you overhear "Muay-Thai Boxing" for kids, it may reflects like after-school enjoyment, but then again, you are in for a hu...
-
The Angle... usually concerns itself with the spoken clichés of football's protagonists but the 2010/11 season's rabid obsession w...
-
Follow @FootballCliches This is a piece about Sunday league football. It will not make any reference to hangovers (Haha! Some of them ...